It is soup time! I don’t know about you guys, but this classic tomato soup never gets old. And of course, you have to have grilled cheese to dip into this masterpiece. I made this recipe before and knew spiced turmeric chickpeas would be the perfect match with the tomatoes.. I was so right!
Add this into your rotational soups and be amazed at the simple deliciousness!
This recipe is
Feels like home
Simple Vegan Recipe: Classic Tomato Soup with Turmeric Chickpeas + Vegan Grilled Cheese
YUM! This spin on the classic tomato soup will make your heart the warmest it has been all winter. I love the spiced chickpeas on top that give so much depth to this beautiful soup. We definitely couldn’t have tomato soup without the grilled cheese <3 I will leave my favorite bread and cheeses that we used too.. there are loads of plant-based cheeses out there but being picky and finding ones that you like are the most important part to your health journey. It took me a few times to find a plant-based cheese for sure.
- 3 Roma Tomatoes
- 3 cloves Garlic
- .5 Yellow Onion
- 1 28 oz Can Peeled Tomatoes
- .5 cup Almond Milk (Unsweetened)
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- .5 tsp salt + pepper each (more or less if needed)
- .5 tbsp Chili Powder
- For Chickpeas
- 1 can Chickpeas
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt + Pepper Each (more or less if needed)
- For Grilled Cheese (however many sandwiches you are making, add more but recipe is for 1 sandwich)
- 2 slices Silver Hills Bakery Bread (our favorite) (found in frozen section)
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Kite Hill Cream Cheese (our favorite)
- 1 slice Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda Cheese (our favorite)
- Pre-heat oven at 375 degrees F. Cut Roma tomatoes in half and place on baking sheet with parchment paper (reusable the best option). Place in oven for 15 minutes
- While tomatoes are roasting, peel garlic and open can of tomatoes and blend on high until tomatoes are liquified. Take out large pot and pour liquified tomatoes and garlic into pot. Add all spices, vegetable broth, and almond milk and simmer on low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Bubbles should occur and stir every few minutes.
- When tomatoes are roasted and brown on the bottom, take out of oven and place roasted tomatoes in blender. Blend on high untul liquified. Add to soup! Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Open can of chickpeas and rinse under cool water.
- Add olive oil to pan with medium-high heat. Add chickpeas with turmeric, salt + pepper. Should be crispy after about 5 minutes.
- Turn all burners on low and start your grilled cheese! Add Kite Hill cream cheese to both slices of bread.. you are the judge on how much you would like.
- Take out griddle or pan best for grilled cheese and add olive oil to pan. Place sandwich on medium heat and flip when golden. Should be complete after 5-10 minutes.
- Pour soup into bowl and place crispy chickpeas in middle. Presto, you are done and ready for this classic wonder.
I know you will feel right at home no matter where you are with this comforting classic. Let me know what soup you guys want to see next!